Recruiting and Registration
There are several steps to becoming a high school sports official with the CFOA and FHSAA. Listed below is a summary of steps to become an official from the FHSAA's becomeanofficial.org website:
- Verify that you meet the requirements to become an FHSAA Official --Be 18 years of age or older. Note that if you are either 16 or 17 years old, you can still join our Student Officials Program. --Submit to the FHSAA Office a valid application for registration --Pay appropriate non-refundable registration fees --Join and maintain membership in a local officials association --Certify that you have never been arrested for or convicted of a felony. You may download the registration tutorial for your reference while completing the online process.
- Register with a local officials association. You must join and maintain membership in a local official association which has been sanctioned by the FHSAA Office (CFOA).
- Register with the FHSAA. You must register with the Florida High School Athletic Association through an online application. During this process, you will select which sport(s) you want to officiate, and which official's associations you are a member of. Click here for the online application!
- Comply with the Jessica Lunsford Act. The Jessica Lunsford Act is the informal name given to a 2005 Florida law designed to punish sex offenders and reduce their ability to re-offend. This means that your local officials association will need your finger print clearance prior to assigning you. You may contact your local county school district office for information regarding locations to complete the fingerprint process. Officials are independent contractors and require a level 2 screening (background check). This is a check of a person's background via state and national databases to ascertain whether the individual has been convicted of a crime(s) and its/their nature. It requires you to file with the district school board a set of fingerprints taken by an authorized law enforcement agency or an employee of the school or school district who is trained to take fingerprints. You may refer to Florida Statutes 1012.467 and 1012.468.
- Register and take the mandatory Online Rules Examination. You must take a mandatory rules exam for your sports. The exam will be 50 questions and timed for 75 minutes and is available online. The schedules of the exams will be posted on http://www.fhsaa.org/officials.
- For more information, view these frequently asked questions at http://www.becomeanofficial.org/faq/
Returning CFOA Officials
If you are a veteran official, please update your FHSAA membership and verify your information with CFOA. Send inquiries or changes to Central Florida Officials Association PO Box 622680, Orlando, FL 32862-2680.